The below information is the course syllabus, scope and sequence of curriculum, syllabus, agenda and homework for class, and link to Google Classroom learning content management system.
FIRST SEMESTER - GOVERNMENT
Welcome and Introductions
- Register to vote; Pre-register to vote
- 12th Grade College Prep Government and Economics
- FootLinkedIn profile
The Democratic Process in Action Initial Mini-Unit: Part I
"Free" Speech and Violence: Protesting in the Age of Trump
- Violence in Berkeley Rally
- Charlottesville: Race and Terror
- America Is Struggling to Sort Out Where ‘Violence’ Begins and Ends
- Socratic seminar
- Ventura City Council: "Will We Issue a Permit for an Alt Right Rally?"
The Democratic Process in Action Initial Mini-Unit, Part II
California Proposes New Euthanasia Law
- The Basics: Euthanasia Terms to Know
- Lecture: Suicide Generally, "Euthanasia" and Notable Figures, and Dying and the Law.
- Recent Primary Sources:
- Setting the Stage
- To Learn to Die is to Live Well
- "Counting the Beats"
- "Knowing How Doctors Die Can Change End-Of-Life Discussions"
- Recent CA Legislation
- "Bill moves forward to allow terminally ill Californians to request lethal drugs"
- "Terminally ill county woman pushes for aid-in-dying law"
- "Ventura County supervisors support end-of-life bill"
- "Aid-in-dying bill shelved, but supporters insist it will be revived"
- California lawmakers renew efforts to pass right-to-die bill
- California governor balks at push to eye right-to-die bill
- "Aid-in-dying bill regains momentum in Legislature"
- Setting the Stage
- The "Democratic Process" -- Information, then Discussion, Debate, and Final Vote
American Federal Government
- Check and Balances (Final Exam Question Worksheet)
- Separation of Powers in the United States Constitution
The Justice System
- Part I: The Basics of the American Legal System
- Student Background and Context
- The Basics
- Content: The Legal System, The Trial, A Dash of Criminal Law, and Death Penalty in the United States.
- Class Public Opinion: Death Penalty Class Poll
- Getting Started Writing: 5 Paragraph Essay on Death Penalty
- Assessment: Some thoughts on Capital Punishment before our Capital Punishment Blog.
- Part II: Recent Neurological and Genetics Research and the Criminal Brain
- Setting the Stage, a Rivalry
- Lecture: Democrats Versus Republicans
- Project: FTHS DECIDES
SECOND QUARTER The Supreme Court and Federal Courts
- Federal Judges and Interpreting the Law
- Not Getting into Trouble in the First Place
- The "Clash of Absolutes" -- Reproductive Rights and "Personhood"
- Political Orientation Quiz
- United States Congress; Senate and House of Representatives
- Introduction to Congress and The Legislative Process.
- Checks and Balances: Divided Government; Conflict and Consensus; and if that fails Government Shut Down.
- Project: Legislation Project
Pre-Winter Break Celebration
Second Amendment Mini-Unit
- Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
- Terms to Know and Guns in America
- Mr. Geib's Daughter's Lockdown vs. Arizona shooting.
The Press Mini-Unit
FIRST SEMESTER FINAL EXAM
SECOND SEMESTER - ECONOMICS
THIRD QUARTER Entrepreneurialism
- Aspire Project - Entrepreneurial Education Experience
Capitalism and Economics
- Terms to Know
- Iron Law of Supply and Demand: the Heart of Economics
- Theory of "Free" Markets and "Command" Economies
- Reality of Supply and Demand in Practice
- Supply and Demand, Pt I: Oil Prices --
- Supply and Demand, Pt. II, Labor --
- Supply and Demand, Pt. III: Health Care --
- Supply and Demand, Pt. IV: SOAR and Housing Prices in Ventura County --
- Poverty and Wealth: Yin and Yang
- World of Work, Budgeting, Banks and Loans, the Law
- The Ownership Economy: Capital, Corporations, and Investing
- Does Money Even Make You Happy?
- The Consumer Economy: Capitalism and Ethics
A "Living" Wage?
- The Pros and Cons of Raising the Minimum Wage
- "Businesses Find Creative Ways to Cope with Minimum Wage Hikes" and PBS Mnimum Wage Debate
- In the context of contemporary capitalism, are better educated workers the only real long-term cure for poverty disease in America?
Political Economy and Democracy: Race, Class, and Income Inequality
- "Rochester Focuses On A New Picture Of American Manufacturing"
- "Detroit's Commuter Low-Wage Job Reflects New Reality" (.pdf)
- "Despite fears, Mexico's manufacturing boom is lifting U.S. workers"
Spreadsheets and Cell Functions
FOURTH QUARTER The Cost of Higher Education in Information Age America
- Final Common Core Essay: "Is College Worth it?"
Final Exam: Resume, Interviewing
END OF THE YEAR PHOTO: